Sussex Innovation is looking for a Market Research Co-ordinator with 2-3 years experience in a research role to join our Business Support team.
The ideal candidate will be looking to make the next step in their market research career as well as fostering a keen interest in working with innovative businesses, including start-ups and university spin-outs. The role will involve helping our members at our Falmer, East Croydon and Brighton centres to launch their projects to market or grow their existing businesses sustainably and profitably.
You will be part of our specialised support team who offer advice, mentoring, workshops and practical tools to help businesses grow. The market research and insight department helps entrepreneurs answer questions like:
- Which target market or industry most needs, wants and can afford to pay for the innovation?
- What problem does the innovation solve and how deeply is it felt by the proposed target industry or market?
- Who are the existing competition and how do they position themselves?
- How does the proposed target industry/market currently solve the problem?
- How much do they pay to solve it and how are their current solutions delivered?
- What channels can we use to best reach the target market or industry?
- What strategy and tactics can be used to attract first customers and build growth?
- What brand identity will best attract first customers and build growth?
Market insight and research duties include working with members to decide what research questions and tools will achieve their goals. You will undertake market research into specific industries, collating data from the internet and our online resources (e.g. Frost & Sullivan, Beauhurst). You will be delivering unique insight using in-depth interviews or surveys and analyse data for members to better understand their company, the position it holds in the market and how to improve that position. You will be supported by the senior team to help clients interpret and apply your research to their business ideas.
We are a small, agile team of sector specialists, and this role will involve opportunities to collaborate with senior practitioners across business strategy, marketing and finance. The ideal candidate will work alongside our team to package and promote your services to our members.
You will have:
- Experience of conducting desk-based and internet research to answer specific questions, digging out hard to find data by thinking laterally about the subject
- Market research experience, including conducting telephone and in-depth interviews
- Ability to think creatively to recruit participants who fit the customer segmentation of an early-stage business
- Confidence to work and engage with innovative companies of all scales
- An analytical mind and curiosity about innovative products and services
- Ability to sift through large amounts of information to find what is relevant
- Empathy and interpersonal skills, with the ability to manage client relationships and work closely with our graduate team members to deliver projects
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to work independently to meet multiple, often competing deadlines with high attention to detail
- Strong numeracy and written communication skills
Salary and benefits
Salary circa £25-30k per annum, depending on experience, for a full-time position or pro rata for part time hours.
We offer a competitive package of benefits, including a flexible work policy, access to a private healthcare scheme, generous holidays increasing with service, life assurance and staff discounts to any of the available on-site services such as Sussex Sport. University campus facilities also include an Ofsted rated Outstanding Nursery: Little Pioneers which is directly opposite our Sussex building.
We have centres based at the University of Sussex (close to Brighton), East Croydon (opposite the station) and one in development at Brighton (next to the station). Successful candidates can be expected to deliver support across all our sites but to be primarily based at one.
Sussex Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
How to apply
If you meet the essential criteria outlined above, we invite you to send your application as soon as possible, to Tanya Popeau enclosing your C.V.