Sussex Innovation is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
An opportunity has arisen to work as a Sales and Marketing Innovation Advisor at Sussex Innovation. The role is primarily based at either our centre near Brighton or our centre at East Croydon. This is a pivotal role in the support team, and an excellent opportunity to leverage your understanding and practical experience of marketing and sales to provide new or growing companies with strategic insight, coaching and hands-on support.
Sussex Innovation works with start-ups, inventors, innovators and academics to take their projects to market or grow their existing business sustainably and profitably. You will be part of the on-site support team who offer advice, mentoring, workshops and practical tools to foster that growth.
The purpose of the role is to use your practical experience of sales and marketing to help start-ups and innovators develop effective marketing and sales activity. On the ground, this activity will include one to one mentoring, facilitating Sussex Innovation authored workshops, and developing/delivering practical tools in response to our customers’ needs.
You will be working to advise our members in a consultative role which includes helping them to:
- Understand who their first customers and target market(s) will be for their new innovation, product or service
- Devise lean and cost-effective marketing strategies and tactics that start-ups can implement to acquire first customers and quickly accelerate their growth
- Help them understand the importance of developing a strong coherent brand, including working with them to identify their vision, mission, value proposition and values
- Upskill founders and their team in business development and sales techniques
- Accompany members on first sales meetings and work hands-on to improve their skills
- Help members create scalable processes to manage their sales and marketing activity
- Work with our Market Research advisor to test and qualify each market segment and help the member to develop an in-depth understanding of their potential customers
- Help members develop ways to build and maintain relationships with existing and potential customers so that they develop their innovation with the customer (not for the customer)
- Provide sales and marketing input as part of a multi-disciplined business support team
- Provide a sounding board and strategic advice to members on all aspects of their marketing and sales activity
- Work with our Student Enterprise advisor to deliver marketing and sales workshops for student entrepreneurs
The role will also require you to play a part in the development and implementation of Sussex Innovation’s own marketing activities.
The ideal candidate will have experience of marketing and sales and a strong background in consulting in an advisory way. Experience as a managing director or founder would be highly desirable but not essential. Confidence to promote your and our services, sell your skills and work directly with clients to achieve their goals is crucial. We are looking for:
- Experience of working one to one or one to many as a consultant or mentor
- Experience of facilitating marketing and sales workshops
- It is desirable but not essential that you have experience in designing (and delivering) workshops to meet the business objectives of your previous clients
- In-depth sales experience and the ability to train others in sales and business development methods
- In-depth marketing experience and the ability to develop marketing strategy and tactical plans for clients
- Ability to harness and utilise the skills of junior colleagues to deliver strategic support to clients such our PR advisor, Market Research advisor and team of graduate interns
- It is desirable but not essential that the candidate has a working knowledge of lean start-up tools including the business model canvas
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team with clients and manage multiple simultaneous deadlines
- Analytical mind and curiosity about innovative products and services
Salary circa £40,000 per annum, depending on experience, for a full-time position or pro rata for part time hours. We offer a competitive package of benefits and a supportive, collaborative working environment.
We have roles available at either our University of Sussex location (close to Brighton) or our East Croydon station location. Successful candidates can be expected to deliver support at all our sites but to be primarily based at one. We can offer staff discounts to any of the available on-site services such as Sussex Sport. University Campus facilities also include an Ofsted rated Outstanding Nursery: Little Pioneers which is directly opposite our Sussex building.
How to apply
Please apply for the role as soon as possible, your application will be considered immediately. We will be conducting interviews later this summer. Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org enclosing your C.V. and explaining in a detailed letter why you would suit this role and what personal qualities and experience you would bring to Sussex Innovation.