BRAIN at Sussex Innovation
BRAIN - the Business Research and Academic Innovation Network - is a project part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund. It will create an open innovation network across the Coast to Capital LEP area, which covers Brighton & Hove, Croydon, East Surrey, West Sussex and the Lewes District. The project will establish working collaborations between start-ups, academic researchers, large organisations and corporates.
Most large organisations want to develop new ideas, but have no established process for bringing in innovations from outside. BRAIN provides opportunities to:
- Access new ideas and interact with business outside of your sector – from your next product, to changing the way you operate
- Look beyond retail agreements and distribution deals and get involved in the fundamental innovation happening across the South East
- Become a 'customer-mentor', helping shape the development of early-stage businesses to meet your needs
- Participate in roundtable events, helping to shape the conversation around the commercial environment of the future
- Attend themed pitching events, showcasing the latest innovations in your industry
- Join the new Sussex Innovation Investment Fund, and help good ideas flourish
"We've worked closely with the team at Sussex Innovation for several years. When they first came to us they took the time to fully understand our requirements, and were very clear in their explanations of where the technology stood and where it could be applied. The relationship extends beyond your typical licensing deal for IP - we still call on their expertise for things like market research to this day, and continue to work with the academics who developed the technology."
Dr Keith Strickland, CTO, Plessey Semiconductor
For start-ups and small businesses, finding the first customer for your groundbreaking idea can be crucial. BRAIN provides opportunities to:
- Get your products and services in front of large organisations that have expressed an interest in your field
- Find 'customer-mentors', that can help shape the development of your products to meet a genuine market need
- Attend themed pitching events, and showcase your innovation to key stakeholders in your industry
- Access the new Sussex Innovation Investment Fundto gain financial support for your business
"We were introduced to a large national energy provider, and the mutual benefit to both businesses was obvious. They sponsored some of our initial installations, giving us both credibility and visibility. With their confidence and support, we have seen the development of a nationwide EV charging station network, with Elektromotive involved every step of the way."
Calvey Taylor-Haw, MD, Elektromotive Ltd
This project has received funding from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) as part of the European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme 2014-2020. The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the managing authority for the ERDF.
Established by the European Union, the ERDF helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support innovation and businesses, create jobs and regenerate local communities. Read further information here.